Local Asparagus Pesto Gnocchi
Weeknight Pesto Gnocchi With Fresh Local Asparagus
This easy spring gnocchi recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. It comes together in less than 20 minutes and uses 4 fabulous ingredients that are full of flavour, making it easy for you to kick back, eat well, and celebrate the joy of springtime. Although unnecessary, bacon, greens or fresh peas would all be lovely additions to this dish.
You can find all these delicious ingredients at Market Fresh Guelph.
MAMMA EMMA POTATO GNOCCHI stuffed with Genovese pesto
Mamma emma prides itself on making potato gnocchi just like those homemade ones. Their gnocchi is prepared with quality GMO-free ingredients in a production cycle that uses only fresh and natural raw ingredients to enhance the artisanal quality of the final product. Made with 100% fresh steamed potatoes, their gnocchi stuffed with Genovese pesto has an incredibly creamy and flavourful filling that respects the authentic flavour of the traditional Genoese recipe. Because this high-quality gnocchi only takes 3 minutes to cook, it’s ideal for a quick and satisfying meal.
MARKET FRESH PESTO
Market Fresh’s delicious all-natural nut-free basil pesto is made in house using fresh basil, parsley, romano and parmesan cheeses, capers, garlic and oil. The bright herbal flavours are balanced with the garlic, a hint of saltiness and a savoury rich umami flavour. It elevates roasted vegetables, can be stirred into soups, slathered on sandwiches, brushed on chicken breasts, and tossed with pasta.
WELSH BROS ASPARAGUS from Scotland, ON
When it comes to Welsh Bros asparagus, patience is the key. The asparagus roots are planted and then following three years of caring for them the vegetables can be harvested. Welsh Bros hand picks their fresh asparagus daily and then immediately hydro cools them ensuring that the asparagus’s field fresh flavour is retained and delivered to you. Briefly simmering first-of-the-season asparagus is a wonderful way to let this vegetable shine.
LINDSAY CLOTHBOUND GOAT CHEDDAR
This 100% goat milk handcrafted cheddar from Mariposa Dairy near Lindsay, Ontario, has won multiple awards including the Champion, British Empire Award, and 1st place in Goat Cheese, American Cheese Society Awards. The wheel is wrapped in cheesecloth in the Old World tradition then placed on a pine board and turned weekly. At 12-18 months this beautiful cheese exhibits a delightfully nutty, fruity-citrusy flavour with caramel undertones and a very complex and lingering finish. It’s not overly goaty, and has a beautiful crumble and crystallization which provides a very desirable texture in the mouth. It’s a great addition to any cheeseboard, melts well in a panini, and is perfect atop grilled veggies and or pasta - as we’ve used it here.
- One pack (350g) of mamma emma Potato Gnocchi Stuffed With Genovese Pesto
- One container of Market Fresh Pesto
- One bunch (approximately 1 pound) Welsh Bros Asparagus
- One wedge of Lindsay Clothbound Goat Cheddar
1. Bring 3 quarts of well-salted water to a boil in a non-reactive pot. Prepare the asparagus by snapping or trimming the tough bottom ends off the asparagus, then cut into 1-2 inch pieces. Add the asparagus to the water and cook for 3-4 minutes until just done. Drain. (Alternatively, you could steam the asparagus).
2. Add pesto and 100ml of water to a large pan and heat over medium. Add the gnocchi and cook for 3 minutes. (Tip: This is fresh gnocchi so don’t overcook it!)
3. Assemble the dish by combining the gnocchi and asparagus. Shave or crumble cheddar on top. If desired, finish with fresh cracked pepper and chili flakes.