Pfenning's Organic Farms' Autumn Kale Salad
• 1/2 head of garlic
• 6 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tsp. of roasting garlic
• 1 small delicata squash, unpeeled and thinly sliced, seeds removed OR a butternut squash, peeled and thinly sliced, seeds removed
• 1 tsp. of kosher salt
• Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
• 1 tsp. of local honey
• A pinch of cayenne pepper or hot paprika (optional)
• 1 large head of local Pfenning’s Farm Kale
• 1/2 cup of golden raisins
• 1/2 cup of hazelnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
• Shaved Parmesan cheese on top (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Trim about 1 inch off the head of the garlic, exposing the cloves. Drizzle 1 tsp. of the olive oil on the garlic skins and rub it in. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the individual cloves are completely soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. At the same time as you roast the garlic, roast the squash. Place the squash pieces in a small bowl and coat with 2 tbsp. of the oil, 1 tsp. of the salt, and the black pepper. Spread out the squash on a large baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the pieces are browned and cooked through. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 4 tbsp. of oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, remaining 1 tsp. of salt, and the cayenne (if using). Squeeze out the roasted garlic into the dressing. Stir well, breaking up the garlic. Set aside.
4. Wash and dry the kale thoroughly and slice it into thin strips. Place it in a large bowl and add the dressing a bit at a time, using your hands to massage the kale leaves gently until the volume is reduced and they look softened and shiny. Add the raisins, nuts, and squash pieces and toss.
5. Serve the salad at room temperature. Top with shaved Parmesan, if desired and ENJOY!